I’m back to blogging after a bit of a hiatus — this time for ECMP 455!
For those who don’t know me, my name is Amy, and I am a fourth-year pre-service teacher in the Faculty of Education at the University of Regina. This is me in a nutshell:
- I am a Secondary Education student with a major in Chemistry and a minor in English
- I just completed my internship in December at Thom Collegiate — a high school here in the city — where I taught Physical Science 20, Science 10, Chemistry 30, ELA A10, and ELA 20
- I am a member of UR S.T.A.R.S. — an on-campus group comprised of pre-service teachers, practicing teachers, and university professors who are passionate about anti-oppressive education and teaching for social justice
- My interests include running, reading, travelling, and watching ridiculous, over-the-top reality TV shows with my mom (our current show: The Bachelor)
- And most importantly: I have a one-year-old kitten. His name is Niko, and I think he is the most adorable thing in the entire world.
With only one semester left to go before I graduate, I admit that I am struggling to get back into the swing of things. However, I am looking forward to ECMP 455 this semester and continuing to extend my personal knowledge and skills in using technology in the classroom.
Three learning goals that I have for ECMP 455 this semester are:
1. To expand on my knowledge of different tech programs/sites/tools/etc. and their applications in the classroom.
After taking ECMP 355 this past spring, I tried to use technology in a variety of ways during my internship. For example, I set up a Google Calendar for my Physical Science 20 class (the class I taught all semester) where I would upload class notes, handouts, and assignments in order to make those resources readily available to my students outside of class. Remind was another tool that I used as a means of communication between me and my students. I also used Kahoot a lot in my classes — it was very popular with my students, and we even started a Kahoot-er of the Week challenge. Now that I have had some experience using technology in the classroom, I would like to explore more in-depth different tech tools and how they can be used to enhance student learning.
2. To learn about some of the controversies surrounding the use of technology in education.
There are social, ethical, cultural, etc. issues often associated with the use of technology and media in education. While I think a lot of the concern stems from a ‘fear of the unknown’ that doesn’t make the concerns any less valid. As teachers, we need to be aware of the concerns/oppositions that may be held by parents, administrators, and other educations and be able to justify our use of educational technology. This semester in ECMP 455, I would like to examine some of the controversies surrounding the use of technology in education so that I have a critical understanding of all perspectives, can form my own opinion, and be able to explain how/why I use technology in my classroom.
3. Continue to develop my PLN
In ECMP 355 I worked on building my PLN and becoming a connected educator. Since then, however, I haven’t been very active online. This semester in ECMP 455, one of my goals is to continue to develop my PLN by becoming more active in different online spaces such as Twitter, blogs, and the class Google Plus community. This semester I am looking forward to sharing my thoughts/learnings/resources/etc. with my classmates and others and learning from them in return!